Re: Parts Library Posted to ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 13:25:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

If this is a problem, it would only apply to the parts in the
original LDraw file library, not to additional work done by
LCadders.

How do you know that?  I've never seen any formal terms of use
statement for the community created part files.  With this lacking,
wouldn't it be natural for parts authors to assume that submitted
parts follow the same terms of use as the original ones?

Good catch--I was making assumptions.  I really wish the discussion you
fired off a few months ago had gone through to completion.

BUT, take a look at <http://www.ldraw.org/legal/>.  It plainly states that
the terms around the original LDraw package:

ldraw.org is a collaborative effort by users of the LDraw software program
created by James Jessiman. Since James' passing, the original LDraw
software package remains exclusively the intellectual property of James'
immediate family.

The original parts library is part of the 'original LDraw software',
remains the IP of the Jessimans, and must distributed under their terms.

Scanning down a bit in the text, we find:

Content © 1999 ldraw.org. All content created specifically for ldraw.org,
including but not limited to images, HTML code, and original unique content
falls under the OpenContent Licence (OPL). Individual programs made
available for download from this site are subject to their individual
respective licenses and are used by permission.

It can be argued whether submitted part-files fall under the umbrella of
'content created specifically for ldraw.org' or not.  I'd say that they do,
at least until we have better (ie, more specific) legal terms.

What we really need are terms for the agreement between 'ldraw.org'
(whatever that is) and part-authors.  And a BFC standard.

Steve