Subject:
Parts Library Posted to ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 20:41:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

There has been some talk about serving LDraw parts directly from ldraw.org, mostly
to allow rendering programs to fetch part-files over the internet.

To get a start on such a service, the parts library has been made available via
http (it's not quite current, the 2000-01 update is not posted yet).  To get a
file from the online parts library, you need to go after a URL of the form:

http://www.ldraw.org/library/dat/<file>

Where <file> is the filename as it is referenced in a DAT file.

Part-files and primitives have been combined into one location, instead of being
stored in two different locations.  This should save a bit on 404 errors, which
would occur if programs had to try two different paths for files.  BUT, subfiles
and hi-res primitives *are* in subdirectories, for two reasons:

1. The subdirectory for a file (of these types) is specified in the referencing
part file.
2. Filenames are duplicated between primitives and hi-res primitives.

Some example URLs:

http://www.ldraw.org/library/dat/3001.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/library/dat/4-4edge.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/library/dat/48/1-4edge.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/library/dat/s/973s01.dat

For now, that's all there is: the files are hanging around, and you can retrieve
them, if you know what you're looking for.

Jacob and I have exchanged a few e-mails on how this feature could be developed,
I've listed some ideas below.

1. A list of available parts.  This is pretty straightforward, it would only
require posting a version of parts.lst to the /library/ folder.

2. A mechanism to retrieve multiple files in one request.  The client would have
to provide the list of files, maybe something like:

http://www.ldraw.org/library/getblock?f=3001.dat,3002.dat,3003.dat ...

3. A mechanism to query on the current library release number.  This might be just
another file in the /library/ folder.

4. A streaming parts update.  This would require a certain amount of groundwork,
because we'd need to have a way of 'posting' file updates to the stream, and the
client would need a way to ask for any available updates.

Anybody got other ideas?  I'm not an internet-communications guru, so I'd be
interested in geekier approaches to any of this. :)

Steve