Subject:
OMR Planning - Almost There
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 16:12:11 GMT

Ryan, Jeff, Todd, etc.
I just unearthed an old unfinished project of mine - the OMR Model
Creation/Submission guide for ldraw.org.  Now I see that we were much
further along than I thought we were.

Some things that need to be finalized are:

Model Creation/Submission Rules
A set of guidelines needs to be developed for model submissions, so each
model can be processed quickly and efficiently.  Refer to this post:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=168

For a starting point.  Jeff, Ryan, you might want to revise these on your
own and get back to me with your final list.

lugnet.cad.dat.models Submission System
IIRC, we were going to use cad.dat.models to submit models to the OMR.  A
few questions: How are the models going to be picked up and edited once
they are submitted?  How will the rest of the editors know that someone has
already started editing a model?  (this could be solved in a short post to
the group).

Todd, I have a question for you too about submission.  Would it be alright
if I made a submission page formatted like ldraw.org residing on ldraw.org
that would post to cad.dat.models?  This could alleviate confusion by
submitters who don't know about the LUGNET aspect of it.  If there's some
LUGNET information you want on such a form, LMK as well, I'm more than
willing to put whatever you require on such a page.

ldraw.org Storage System
How should these models be organized on the server?  There are obviously
several ways models can be categorized (Number, Theme, Name, Year...), and
since the OMR pages are not likely to be generated on-the-fly, a convenient
categorization system is in order.

We could:

Just do it by set number, and provide a field to search at Pause.  Pause
can reciprocate with a link to the OMR page when someone searches for a set
that exists in the OMR (Like it links to specific BrickShelf scans)

Categorize the pages by theme, and subtheme, and have it searchable by
number or name.  The search engine would return the static page that
includes the results the user was looking for (since they're unfortunately
not on-the-fly pages).

Todd, any suggestions on this?  What's the most common method stuff is
searched for on Pause?  Do either of my suggested methods make sense to you?

New Newsgroup for OMR-Related Discussion/Planning/Issues
Would it be possible/practical to set up a new newsgroup for the purpose of
Model Editors, etc discussing OMR Issues, Questions, etc?  How about
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw.omr?  They could also speak for models they want
to edit there.

If these concerns get addressed and I finish the Creation/Submission Guide
pages, the OMR is done and ready to go.  This sounds very feasible to have
up and running in the next couple weeks if we work at it.

-Tim Courtney
  ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com