Re: OMR Planning - Almost There
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 05:18:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Bram Lambrecht writes:
"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
The fopaw (sp?)

faux pa  (although the "paw" bit is funnier)

Hee. :)

We could make it so the server only accepts .dat content and has
special fields for set name, number, etc that the server formats
into the text of a message.  Or it could just strip that info from
the model header.  But good point.  Todd?

Unfortunately, not everyone is going to get the model header right,

Yeah.

so
you'll probably need (required) fields for name, email, etc.

We could ask for all the model info, and the server will create the header
with the submission.  But then what about submodels?  They'd need to have
headers cause we can't have a bazillion fields for the separate headers.

The only
problem is that you most likely want a comments field, which is where the
rules could be broken.  It might also be difficult to track down rule
breakers if all the messages come from an ldraw.org IP.

Wanna list the rules which would apply to this?

Jacob has pretty much said 'no' to on-the-fly.  His (valid) reason
being the CPU speed he needs on the machine to do other tasks than
just serve ldraw.org.

I see.  Although Jacob has been great about providing server space
(thanks!), you may want to look for a more devoted machine, especially if
you're interested in getting features like DAT Explorer on ldraw.org

I don't know where we could find another dedicated server for free.  That
would be a critical issue, I'd like to keep the site free if at all possible.
No banner ads either.  IMO, Jacob is an excellent resource to the site, he
works on all the behind the scenes server stuff and gets stuff set up like
MOTM voting and such.

I didn't even think of wanting DAT Explorer on the site, was it suggested by
someone (before you just now?)  That is a good idea to at least have a DAT
Explorer/Datsville page there.  But from what I gather Datsville is quite
comfortable on LUGNET, which is fine with me.  If John wants to move it to
ldraw.org, I'll accomodate it.

Depending on the future growth of ldraw.org, it might be necessary to move
it.  1) I would need someone (like Jacob) to continue administrating server
issues, which I have no clue how to do.  2) It would have to be
inexpensive/free to use and offer features we cannot get on Hugin.  3) If it
did cost something, it would be nice if people in the community contribued -
my pocketbook is shallow.

Its a catch 22, the future growth of the site may depend on a more dedicated
machine, but at the same time to move to a more dedicated machine the site may
need to grow some.

A friend of mine who I was asking for help on OMR stuff suggested
running a database and info off zacktron.com (which is on a separate
provider) and using a different machine's CPU for the processing.
Thoughts?

That's a good temporary solution, but I don't think it's a good permanent
one.

You're right there.

-Tim