Re: OMR Planning - Almost There
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:05:09 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
[...] And one of my friends is trying to convince me that it is faster
to serve pages from a database than from disk, [...]

I have to wonder about that assertion in a really skeptical way.  In either
case, assuming the filesystem and the database aren't poorly written, the
amount of RAM in the server is really the gating factor.

Yes. That AND the sort of data you are fetching. In certain cases, a DB
engine that has cached the results of queries, coupled with a requesting
program that can use the results straightaway, can be faster than a raw
filesystem, even if the entire file contents are in memory cache
already, if (and this is a big if) the files are not as logically
organized internally (that is, one has to go schlepping through the
contents of the files to locate what one wants) as the query results
are.

Now, if we're talking about serving up static html pages, that's not
likely to be the case. But if we're talking about dynamically generating
pages, it may be.