Re: OMR Planning - Almost There
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 16:48:01 GMT

Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
lugnet.cad.dat.models Submission System
IIRC, we were going to use cad.dat.models to submit models to the OMR.

I believe you mean lugnet.cad.models.sets

Todd, I have a question for you too about submission.  Would it be
alright if I made a submission page formatted like ldraw.org residing
on ldraw.org that would post to cad.dat.models?  This could alleviate
confusion by submitters who don't know about the LUGNET aspect of it.
If there's some LUGNET information you want on such a form, LMK as
well, I'm more than willing to put whatever you require on such a
page.

One problem I foresee is that you are required to register in order to
post. One way this could be solved would be to register ldraw.org as a
valid poster, and then post the messages from an ldraw.org email address.
(You could do this by making the name and email address as hidden fields
in the form, or tacked on  by a CGI script.  You would also have to make
sure you included a brief summary of the rules for posting, with a link
to the full document.  The only problem I see is that ldraw.org would be
responsible if someone breaks the rules.  I should probably let Todd
voice his opinion on this matter, though :)

ldraw.org Storage System
How should these models be organized on the server?  There are
obviously several ways models can be categorized (Number, Theme,
Name, Year...), and since the OMR pages are not likely to be
generated on-the-fly, a convenient categorization system is in
order.

I know it would mean a lot of extra work, but you might want to look into
creating the pages on the fly (I've never worked with databases either,
the closest I've come is the thank you pages when you submit a form on my
site) in case the OMR becomes giant.  I'm sure there are plenty of people
who would help you out, and it would be a great learning experience.

We could:

Just do it by set number, and provide a field to search at Pause.
Pause can reciprocate with a link to the OMR page when someone
searches for a set that exists in the OMR (Like it links to specific
BrickShelf scans)
Categorize the pages by theme, and subtheme, and have it searchable by
number or name.  The search engine would return the static page that
includes the results the user was looking for (since they're
unfortunately not on-the-fly pages).

Again, extra work, but you could include all the information about the
sets in the database (or maybe team up with Pause) so that the database
would be searchable in a number of ways (by number and theme, etc).  I'm
guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to have Pause entries contain a
field for OMR existance).  If Todd agrees, you could even set up a search
engine on ldraw.org which seraches through Pause, formats the output to a
ldraw.org style page, and leaves out the Pause information you don't
want/need.

Just my .02
--Bram