Re: OMR Planning - Almost There
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:27:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ryan Dennett writes:
On 12/18/1999, at 11:09 AM, Tim Courtney wrote:
Refer to this post:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=168

For a starting point.  Jeff, Ryan, you might want to revise these on your
own and get back to me with your final list.

I think that your list just about what I can think of as necessary plus
this

[snippety-poo]

Good additions to the list.  I think both our lists of rules need to be edited
and refined for clarity before being published.  And then examples added...

Right now we only know of two model editors, Jeff and myself. So
what I would suggest is that Jeff takes a series of set numbers that
he will work on(say, 6000-8000, and he works on editting sets in that
range), and I'll work on another series. If you finish all the sets in
that series, you notify the other person and tell them what series you'll
work on next. This seems like the most efective way of doing this. Ideas
anyone??

That sounds like a good idea if that's what you and Jeff want to do.  If you
can figure out a system amongst yourselves, that's cool.  Editing is your
domain :)

Todd, I have a question for you too about submission.  Would it be
alright if I made a submission page formatted like ldraw.org residing on
ldraw.org that would post to cad.dat.models.sets?

If I'm following you on this, Tim, I think that it's a good idea.
What we could do is on ldraw.org(1) have a submission form
with all the necessary info that would mail it directly to the Lugnet
group. I'm not sure if this is possible, but this way we would not be
limitting submission to only LUGNETers.

See Bram's post on some concerns about a page like this.  I like the idea, but
there are some technicalities to work through for this type of system.

I think what we need to definatelly have is links from both Pause &
Brickshelf to the models if they have been done.

Yes.

On to the storage issue, I think that we should have on the main page
of the OMR, links at the bottom(Space, Town, etc) that will link to
another page of, say, Space sets. On that page divide the sets into the
various themes with each model in that theme being named by number
and name(1111 tim's plane) and linking to that file.
I hope i was clear on that, if not I'll try to make it more clear.

I was thinking something like that.  One concern of mine is there should be
some sort of database keeping track of all OMR info, so pages don't have to be
edited by hand when each submission comes through.  Sure, they might not
generate on-the-fly, but they can generate a new page and generate new links
to that page whenever a new entry is added.  Anyone?

If these concerns get addressed and I finish the Creation/Submission
Guide pages, the OMR is done and ready to go.  This sounds very feasible to
have up and running in the next couple weeks if we work at it.

COOL!! :)

Yeah I hope that's the case.  We need to start fattening up ldraw.org. :)

Ryan
[1] Anyone know why I can't open the ldraw.org page? I just get
an error like it doesn't exist.

I haven't been able to get there either this morning.  Can't tell ya what's
wrong.

-Tim