Re: OMR Planning - Almost There
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
lugnet.cad.dat.models Submission System
IIRC, we were going to use cad.dat.models to submit models to the OMR.

I believe you mean lugnet.cad.models.sets

Doh!  Yep, I did :)

Todd, I have a question for you too about submission.  Would it be
alright if I made a submission page formatted like ldraw.org residing
on ldraw.org that would post to cad.dat.models?

One problem I foresee is that you are required to register in order to
post. One way this could be solved would be to register ldraw.org as a
valid poster, and then post the messages from an ldraw.org email address.
(You could do this by making the name and email address as hidden fields
in the form, or tacked on  by a CGI script.

The fopaw (sp?) of registering for posting hit me about 5 minutes later when I
re-read my post.  You propose a good solution.

You would also have to make
sure you included a brief summary of the rules for posting, with a link
to the full document.

That *could* be described in the Creation/Submission Rules pages.

The only problem I see is that ldraw.org would be
responsible if someone breaks the rules.  I should probably let Todd
voice his opinion on this matter, though :)

We could make it so the server only accepts .dat content and has special
fields for set name, number, etc that the server formats into the text of a
message.  Or it could just strip that info from the model header.  But good
point.  Todd?

I know it would mean a lot of extra work, but you might want to look into
creating the pages on the fly (I've never worked with databases either,
the closest I've come is the thank you pages when you submit a form on my
site) in case the OMR becomes giant.  I'm sure there are plenty of people
who would help you out, and it would be a great learning experience.

Jacob has pretty much said 'no' to on-the-fly.  His (valid) reason being the
CPU speed he needs on the machine to do other tasks than just serve
ldraw.org.  If it does become big, we might need to make accomodations - but
extra arrangements would probably have to be made for that.  A friend of mine
who I was asking for help on OMR stuff suggested running a database and info
off zacktron.com (which is on a separate provider) and using a different
machine's CPU for the processing.  Thoughts?

Really I'd like to see on-the-fly capability for if/when the OMR fills out.
Its hard to change systems in mid-stream.  But we do need to work with the
limitations we have now.

Again, extra work, but you could include all the information about the
sets in the database (or maybe team up with Pause) so that the database
would be searchable in a number of ways (by number and theme, etc).

Good thoughts.

I'm
guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to have Pause entries contain a
field for OMR existance).  If Todd agrees, you could even set up a search
engine on ldraw.org which seraches through Pause, formats the output to a
ldraw.org style page, and leaves out the Pause information you don't
want/need.

That sounds like an excellent idea.  I'm willing to work on that for the OMR
with Todd if he agrees.  Of course, reciprocal links for OMR/Pause are more
than welcome.

Just my .02
--Bram

Thanks, Bram, for those ideas.