Re: OMR Planning - Almost There
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 22:58:38 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
The fopaw (sp?)

faux pa  (although the "paw" bit is funnier)

We could make it so the server only accepts .dat content and has
special fields for set name, number, etc that the server formats
into the text of a message.  Or it could just strip that info from
the model header.  But good point.  Todd?

Unfortunately, not everyone is going to get the model header right, so
you'll probably need (required) fields for name, email, etc.  The only
problem is that you most likely want a comments field, which is where the
rules could be broken.  It might also be difficult to track down rule
breakers if all the messages come from an ldraw.org IP.

Jacob has pretty much said 'no' to on-the-fly.  His (valid) reason
being the CPU speed he needs on the machine to do other tasks than
just serve ldraw.org.

I see.  Although Jacob has been great about providing server space
(thanks!), you may want to look for a more devoted machine, especially if
you're interested in getting features like DAT Explorer on ldraw.org

A friend of mine who I was asking for help on OMR stuff suggested
running a database and info off zacktron.com (which is on a separate
provider) and using a different machine's CPU for the processing.
Thoughts?

That's a good temporary solution, but I don't think it's a good permanent
one.  (That's actually the way the forms on my site work.  I don't know
how to get C programs to run as CGI scripts on the chuh.org server (a
Mac!) so I put them on my dad's Unix server at work.
--Bram