  RACHAL Changeover

Hi all, It's a day late but we changeover from RACHAL 1 - Atmosphobic to the all new RACHAL 2 - RACHAL Impossible today. Thank you very much to everyone who submitted an entry. I really enjoy seeing what you've all come up with and it we some (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.announce, FTX) !

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) What kind of editor program produces for us Notepad users such unreadable files? (URL) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Ones that don't limit themselves to Windows newline sequences eg. Mac based editors, Linux based editors, good Windows editors. In that case it looks like it's a Mac newline sequence since Notepad recognises one character (probably carriage (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote: I'd be amazed that Notepad still can't deal with it if (...) Amazing or not, that's the way it is and software developers should have that in mind. /Tore (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Yes. The software developers of Notepad. Do you really expect a Mac text-editor to work the Microsoft way because MS Notepad can't read a text file properly? I have very grudgingly updated the file and will probably not do so again (my (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Damn, I really wanted to enter the previous contest, as I worked pretty long on my contribution. The truth is, however, that it is still being rendered. It is already running for 70 hours now, and it is only at about 45% done!!!! :-(.... When (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Windows expects it (CRLF). unix mostly (always?) use just LF, Apple use CR. Get a free text editor that can handle such lines. I have used EditPad ever since I found it - never looked back for Notpad: (URL) Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) If "decent" means powerful and powerful means a 20Mb+ installation file and 30 seconds loading time, I say thanks but no thanks to your strong suggestion. /Tore (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) That's fine by me. But please don't complain if a perfectly correct text file doesn't display right in Notepad or expect me to help cater to your use of bad software. Tim (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) PS. And I apologise if your tone in (URL) this post> was less serious than I read it. I really don't like the attitude that one should be forced to cater to every bit of rubbish programming by the folks at Redmond. (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) I expected that reply too from you. I once liked LDraw because anyone with almost any computer could use it. (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) You apologize or... you don't? You keep bantering on the far most popular system in the world. Not because it is the best, I am very well aware of that, but because the vast majority of computer users around the globe don't find the (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) They still can last I noticed. The earlier version of the file will and does work perfectly well in MLCad (I know this because I opened it in MLCad to make sure before submitting it to ldraw.org for the challenge). It would probably work in (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

--snip-- (...) I realised I may have been barking at a joke for which I would and should apologise. It would seem I'm not so I make no apologies. (...) I use a Windows XP machine. Tim (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Then I misinterpreted the talk of Mac and Linux earlier in this thread. (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Last I checked, the Notetab light installation was 1.4M (yes it still fits on a floppy), and it loads in less than a second on my XP machine. I have been using it for at least 3 years, and I would also highly recommend it for Windows users. (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) And, of cousre, the long filenames. :) I rushed together a DOS program called linefix.exe that takes care of the linefeeds while you uploaded the new version of the MPD. I never use MLCad even though it is installed. Browsing parts or models (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) And Notepad.exe is 56 kb. Yes, I know I exaggerated. I think I had NoteTab or something very similar in my previous Windows installation due to the 64k limitation in Notepad. And before that, I hacked Notepad to suggest the .dat extension in (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Following further information about compatibility in some LDraw software I will ensure that subsequent MPDs posted to the website are in DOS format. I assume something will be posted about these compatibility issues soon. Tim (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) I've been dealing with this issue my whole Mac using life. I can understand your frustration but not your insistence that everyone comply with your OS. When I've done that in the past I get laughed at. The very existence of the LDraw for Mac (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Notetab

(...) Ok, I replaced Notepad with Notetab, and it is surprisingly fast and in all ways better than MS Notepad. All ways - except one: I also replaced one single .exe file with 129 files in 7 new folders, 3.37 Mb using 5,4 million bytes of disk (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Apple *no longer appears to be a dead company* and now we are the snobs? (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Thanks Tim, here are the initial results of my testing: Platform ldraw/ledit MLCad DOS No problems No Problems Unix Part: Not displayed Model: Cannot open No problems Mac * No problems Part: load error Model: Load error * This is the old (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Thanks. I've already done that now. /Tore (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Notetab

(...) LOL Notepad creates at least one registry entry too (and I don't want to know how many more!) ROSCO (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Oh no, not that old Mac vs PC again!

(...) I have never said or even thought of Apple appearing to be dead. But my experience of Mac users is that they have had a very condescending attitude towards us Windows losers... I mean users. As you and I haven't discused this utterly boring (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  OS dependent newline issues

(...) And in light of this I'll give some cheerleading for some formalising of the newline character in the Ldraw specs. If LDraw software has problems then that is reason enough for a formalised rule IMO. Could someone test DOS format files on the (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: OS dependent newline issues

(...) No testing necessary. I believe all versions of LDraw software all the way back to Brickdraw 3D have been able to read DOS format lines as that has been the shared format. So they have always been able to read them. In fact, I just opened a (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: OS dependent newline issues

(...) I think that's quite reasonable. (...) Indeed, most if not all of my part library files are DOS formated. They work fine with Bricksmith, L3P, lsynth, ldglite, LDView 3.2 (from source), and even Mac Brick CAD. Any serious text editor such as a (...) (17 years ago, 2-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) well ... you know the saying: "The exception proves the rule!" or was it "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception!" :-D anyway send it over to Ldraw.org and I'll add it the old gallery. w. (17 years ago, 2-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Thanks!! I hope it ever gets finished, or at least before my computer crashes.... :-) (17 years ago, 2-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) hi folks, since no Mac or UNIX was involved in the creation of the mpd file we are trying to understand what has messed up the end line character. we uploaded four files and would like to know how they turn out in notepad. please screenshot: (...) (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Maybe it's a downloading problem. On windows .mpd files are associated with microsoft project by default. Perhaps because of this, some sort of translation occurred on downloading the file? Or more likely it's an uploading problem. If you used (...) (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) The upload is via an html form so I'm pretty sure it's not ftp (unless there's a way for this to be automated from a form?). Willy made the original file in MLCad by the looks of it, I then edited in MLCad and emacs for WinXP, Willy then (...) (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) no just MLCad and LDDP on win2000+SP4 (...) it is. the only problem I had with linefeed was when Allen Smith fixed some entries in der MLCad.ini file. w. (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Same results here. L3LAB: In addition to this info, I wish to add that with DOS, UNIX, and Willy the bricks showed up fine in L3Lab, but from the Mac file, L3Lab just showed an empty window. NOTETAB: All four look idential and correct in (...) (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Well from your two reports it sounds very much like the files are uploading and downloading correctly. I guess we write the RACHAL one off as a strange quirk and I'll use NoteTab to ensure all future ones are DOS formatted before upload and (...) (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Being a vi user, I'm drawn to the natural conclusion that emacs must be the culprit ;-). (On a more serious note, I actually don't know what emacs does with line endings. I know that vi leaves them alone unless you specifically tell it to (...) (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) You have my pity ;) (...) I think it leaves them alone. Certainly I've never had any troubles with it converting one way or the other before. If you edit a Windows text file on a UNIX emacs it will show the extra ^R (or whichever is unused on (...) (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Which may or may not be an issue. It's irrelevant if you're just editing existing lines, but if you add new ones, vi will add them in the file-native format (CRLF for a DOS file), while emacs will add them in the machine-native format. Dan (17 years ago, 3-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) At last, it's finished! It can be found here: (URL) (17 years ago, 5-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) And it was really worth the effort! A funny story/scenery with a different use of the model. Hopefully the two guys succeeded without getting two wet. And thanks for the links. I will dive through it and will see, what I can learn next... (...) (17 years ago, 5-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)