Re: OS dependent newline issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 00:06:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:

And in light of this I'll give some cheerleading for some formalising of the
newline character in the Ldraw specs. If LDraw software has problems then
that is reason enough for a formalised rule IMO.

I think that's quite reasonable.

Could someone test DOS format files on the various pieces of Mac software.
I'd like to know if they can all read DOS format files (I assume so since the
part library is DOS format).

Indeed, most if not all of my part library files are DOS formated. They work
fine with Bricksmith, L3P, lsynth, ldglite, LDView 3.2 (from source), and even
Mac Brick CAD. Any serious text editor such as a TextMate, TextWrangler, BBEdit,
etc handles all line endings with aplomb. Actually, TextEdit (the Mac OS X
equivalent of Notepad, I suppose) displays and preserves the DOS line endings as
well, although it doesn't appear to identify the type of line ending as do the
others I mentioned.

As someone who was a Mac user during the pre-Mac OS X era, I can sympathize with
Tore because DOS \r\n line endings often caused similar problems for me.
Happily, much more robust software seems to be the standard today. I dare say
it's interesting how the tables have turned.

Be well,
Jim