Re: OS dependent newline issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 23:40:42 GMT

Thanks Tim, here are the initial results of my testing:

~ Platform
~ ldraw/ledit
~ MLCad

~ DOS
~ No problems
~ No Problems

~ Unix
~ Part: Not displayed¬Model: Cannot open
~ No problems

~ Mac *
~ No problems
~ Part: load error¬Model: Load error

`* This is the old non-Unix Mac format, which probably isn't an
issue as I
don't think there is any LDraw software available for that
platform. But I
tested it anyway.

I suspect all current software can deal with DOS and Unix formats,
as most
libraries these days can. But I have not tested any others yet. I
have also
brought this up with the Standards Committee.

ROSCO

And in light of this I'll give some cheerleading for some
formalising of the
newline character in the Ldraw specs. If LDraw software has
problems then that
is reason enough for a formalised rule IMO.

Could someone test DOS format files on the various pieces of Mac
software. I'd
like to know if they can all read DOS format files (I assume so
since the part
library is DOS format).

No testing necessary.  I believe all versions of LDraw software all
the way back to Brickdraw 3D have been able to read DOS  format lines
as that has been the shared format.  So they have always been able to
read them.  In fact, I just opened a file I created yesterday with
Bricksmith and it creates them as DOS format.  Personally, I prefer
Unix line feeds, but it doesn't really matter.  It is basically
transparent to us and I'm never really aware of the format unless I'm
in the Unix terminal (which requires Unix line feeds...).

James