  Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

I'm working on a feature in LDView where it will automatically check the parts tracker for unofficial parts when it encounters a file that it can't find. This has the potential to produce a fairly large amount of requests to the parts tracker, so I (...) (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

Sorry to so quickly respond to my own post, but I forgot to mention something. One of the sample models that LDView comes with makes use of a fair number of unofficial parts (15, to be exact). Those parts make use of 14 unofficial primitives and 1 (...) (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Concerning LDView (was: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView)

Hi Travis, this option seems very useful, but I am still unable to run the newest version of LDView on my computer :o(. Do I need any special drivers etc.? LDView 2 works perfectly. Leg Godt- Sven (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Hi Travis, It's good to know you still think about adding even more features to LDView. At some feature-complete point many programmers prefer to switch to a newer thus more exiting development rather than cherrish and grow the baby. However, (...) (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Hi Travis, I have to second Damien's view but I can think of a possible way around it. If you were to download the unofficial parts into a distinct directory (eg. in the ldview dir tree) and then call them from there it would allow an (...) (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) They'd definitely go into a special directory. (Right now in my development code that directory is u_parts in the ldraw dir. It would probably become "Unofficial Parts", or something similar, since LDView isn't going to work on a system that (...) (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) I can definitely see where you're coming from, and there's certainly a danger that having a viewer transparently support unofficial parts will encourage their use without being included inside the MPD file. Having said that, I see a whole lot (...) (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Concerning LDView (was: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView)

(...) Please contact me via email. Let me know what kind of video card you have, as well as the driver version. If LDView will launch at all, send me the contents of the OpenGL Driver Info window from the Help menu (you can select the text, then (...) (18 years ago, 14-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Can this be an option as I review all my "unofficial parts in development" with LDView :D Thanks (18 years ago, 15-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Any error or warning in LDView can be disabled simply by unchecking the appropriate type from the list on the errors and warnings dialog box. Additionally, warnings aren't displayed at all by default. You have to check the "Show warnings" (...) (18 years ago, 15-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Shouldn't be a problem at all. If it's anything significant, I'll just start mirroring the DAT files to media.peeron.com, and have you use that. Then it certainly wouldn't be an issue. (...) Sounds reasonable. Perhaps it might be more (...) (18 years ago, 17-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) That starts getting more difficult for a few reasons. First of all, the tracker would have to return all the dependent files on the tracker in addition to the requested files. Many of these files could well be already present on the end-user's (...) (18 years ago, 17-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) I'd say it wouldn't *have* to return the dependent files. LDView can turn around, and make an additional request. (...) Well, the server can support multiple files per request, and client programs can use it as well as they can. (...) Use MPD (...) (18 years ago, 17-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Right - it could only do so when asked by the client, and the client is always free to ignore data it doesn't need. (...) Could do that, or tar (which would work for non-DAT files, if needed). I'd be tempted to add a zip compression (as an (...) (18 years ago, 17-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Wont most servers (and clients) automatically use gzip or similar if they both support it? (18 years ago, 17-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) MPD would work for any text files, as long as they don't include /\n0 FILE /. One thing MPD would not provide is the mod-timestamp for each file. That could be listed at the top of the response (before the first file) or maybe in the HTTP (...) (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) If the client supports it, yes. But unless LDView specifically says it does, the server will assume it can't. (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) The HTTP header can say when a particular file has been modified last - but not a bunch of files in one request. Again, it's already included in the tar format, as well as each file size (which can be useful to make sure your request didn't (...) (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) I don't do this now, but I think I can do so fairly easily. Just to check, if I add the following header to my request, ldraw.org will gzip automatically? Accept-Encoding: gzip If I do that, do I need to add another accepted encoding to let (...) (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) It's assumed - at least, firefox doesn't mention it explicitly. (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Just as an experiment, I added the above header to my request, and still got back plain-text. --Travis (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Right - apparently I don't have it enabled on peeron/ldraw's server, but try it on this: (URL) Dan Boger dan@peeron.com (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) that file there for a while while I get my gunzipping to work? I'll post another message here once I get it working. Thanks. --Travis (18 years ago, 18-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) OK, I got it working. Feel free to delete the file whenever you want. So, do you plan to turn gzip support on for the ldraw.org server? It would make a really big difference for unofficial part downloads. --Travis (18 years ago, 20-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) I'll either do that, or just start mirroring the entire ldraw library to media.peeron.com. How soon will you need this? I guess your script should work transparently either case though - gzipping shouldn't be required, just accepted. Make (...) (18 years ago, 23-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView

(...) Yeah, that makes sense. LDView will notify the server that it accepts gzipped content, but will work fine either way. It will just work faster when the response is gzipped. At this point, I'm not sure when the next version of LDView will be (...) (18 years ago, 23-May-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)