Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 20:28:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 03:18:02AM +0000, Travis Cobbs wrote:
So, do you plan to turn gzip support on for the ldraw.org server?  It
would make a really big difference for unofficial part downloads.

I'll either do that, or just start mirroring the entire ldraw library to
media.peeron.com.  How soon will you need this?  I guess your script
should work transparently either case though - gzipping shouldn't be
required, just accepted.

Make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense.  LDView will notify the server that it accepts gzipped
content, but will work fine either way.  It will just work faster when the
response is gzipped.

At this point, I'm not sure when the next version of LDView will be out, but it
will likely be at least a month before Peter and I can finalize the features and
get it properly tested in both Windows and Linux.

My library update code uses http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreleases.cgi to
determine where to search for library updates.  Perhaps another CGI should be
created that gives the base URLs for unofficial files?  Note that LDView uses
the above CGI in the following form to get the list in a format that's easy for
it to parse:

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreleases.cgi?output=TAB&fields=type-format-date-url-size

As long as there is a canonical place to check that can tell me where to look
for unofficial parts, you can host the actual part files anywhere you want.
Something like so as output would be good for me:

OFFICIAL_BASE http://www.ldraw.org/library/official/
UNOFFICIAL_BASE http://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/

The above matches the tab-mode output from ptreleases.cgi.  Obviously having XML
as the default format and TABS as an option like with ptreleases.cgi would be
consistent.  Note that LDView won't be checking the online official part
repository; it expects the user to install that locally.  However, if we're
going to have a CGI that tells programs where to find the unofficial parts, it
should include the official ones also.

--Travis