Subject:
Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2006 07:13:01 GMT

I’m working on a feature in LDView where it will automatically check the parts tracker for unofficial parts when it encounters a file that it can’t find. This has the potential to produce a fairly large amount of requests to the parts tracker, so I have some questions.

First of all, is this acceptable for LDView to do? It can definitely make the user experience much more enjoyable when opening other people’s files that use unofficial parts. But on the other hand, it will generate an as-yet unknown amount of additional traffic to the parts tracker.

Looking at LDView’s SourceForge.net download page, I see that as of now there have been 1734 downloads of the LDView 3.0 executables (1811 total LDView 3 downloads minus 77 source downloads). From that, I think it’s safe to say that the number of unique LDView users is probably at least 500 and more likely in excess of 1000.

I will definitely configure it to not check for any particular file more often than some certain threshold. The threshold will be at least one day, but could probably realistically be set to a week. This threshold will be client-side, though. That means that every user will have their own unique list of files that have been checked “recently”. Note that even if it has downloaded an unofficial file, it will still need to check the tracker to see if the file has been updated since it was downloaded. This will use the same “recently” threshold.

Furthermore, there’s really no way to tell purely based on the filename if the file is a part. So any models that reference missing sub-assemblies will cause LDView to check the parts tracker for these sub-assemblies. On top of that, there’s no way to tell if the file is a primitive (unless it’s in the 48/ directory). So every primitive will first have to be queried as a part. When that fails, it will be queried as a primitive. Additionally, every file that doesn’t have an s/ prefix will be queried as a primitive if no part exists. This particular problem could be fixed server-side, though, if there was some new base URL added that automatically checked for the file as a part, and then automatically checked as a primitive if the part didn’t exist. (If LDView successfully downloads a file once, it will remember what it is, thus preventing the double check when checking to see if the file has been updated on the tracker.)

So, to the admins of ldraw.org, what do you think?

--Travis