Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2006 18:27:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Damien Guichard wrote:
   It’s good to know you still think about adding even more features to LDView. At some feature-complete point many programmers prefer to switch to a newer thus more exiting development rather than cherrish and grow the baby.

However, in my humble opinion the whole point in having official/unofficial distinction is only official parts are supported. By supporting unofficial parts in a user-transparent way the risk is that you blurr this essential distinction. The official and recommended way to include an unofficial part is to include it as a subpart because it’s the only way to guarantee model-file continuity. The viewer tool is a wrong place to solve a problem that wouldn’t exist if the modeller tool was correctly used.

(Just my 2 cents)

I can definitely see where you’re coming from, and there’s certainly a danger that having a viewer transparently support unofficial parts will encourage their use without being included inside the MPD file. Having said that, I see a whole lot of people using unofficial parts in their models without including them. The fact is that parts generally take so long to become official that parts in the part tracker have become heavily relied on by people.

The goal of LDView is to be as fast, powerful, and easy to use as possible. I see this as a significant usability improvement, given the current prevalence of unofficial part usage. I definitely think that LDView should produce a warning for every unofficial file used. In fact, this is probably a good idea, whether or not this new feature is included. I could make it do so any time LDView sees the unofficial header comment in a file that’s not included in an MPD, it would produce a warning. And any time it reads a file from the LDraw p or parts directory without an official header comment, it could also produce a warning.

--Travis