Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 14:06:18 GMT

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 07:13:01AM +0000, Travis Cobbs wrote:
I'm working on a feature in LDView where it will automatically check
the parts tracker for unofficial parts when it encounters a file that
it can't find.  This has the potential to produce a fairly large
amount of requests to the parts tracker, so I have some questions.

First of all, is this acceptable for LDView to do?  It can definitely
make the user experience [much] more enjoyable when opening other
people's files that use unofficial parts.  But on the other hand, it
will generate an as-yet unknown amount of additional traffic to the
parts tracker.

Shouldn't be a problem at all.  If it's anything significant, I'll just
start mirroring the DAT files to media.peeron.com, and have you use
that.  Then it certainly wouldn't be an issue.

I will definitely configure it to not check for any particular file
more often than some certain threshold.  The threshold will be at
least one day, but could probably realistically be set to a week.
This threshold will be client-side, though.  That means that every
user will have their own unique list of files that have been checked
"recently".  Note that even if it has downloaded an unofficial file,
it will still need to check the tracker to see if the file has been
updated since it was downloaded.  This will use the same "recently"
threshold.

Sounds reasonable.  Perhaps it might be more efficient (for the client)
to send just one request with a list of files it needs, and have the
server return all the ones that are found?  That should make the whole
operation faster, since it'll be just one HTTP request/reply, instead of
(potentially) hundreds.

Furthermore, there's really no way to tell purely based on the
filename if the file is a part.  So any models that reference missing
sub-assemblies will cause LDView to check the parts tracker for these
sub-assemblies.  On top of that, there's no way to tell if the file is
a primitive (unless it's in the 48/ directory).  So every primitive
will first have to be queried as a part.  When that fails, it will be
queried as a primitive.  Additionally, every file that doesn't have an
s/ prefix will be queried as a primitive if no part exists.  This
particular problem could be fixed server-side, though, if there was
some new base URL added that automatically checked for the file as a
part, and then automatically checked as a primitive if the part didn't
exist.  (If LDView successfully downloads a file once, it will
remember what it is, thus preventing the double check when checking to
see if the file has been updated on the tracker.)

Shouldn't be a problem.

So, to the admins of ldraw.org, what do you think?

I can't speak for LDraw proper, but from the server side, not a problem.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com