Re: Automatic download of unofficial parts in LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 17:33:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
Sounds reasonable.  Perhaps it might be more efficient (for the client)
to send just one request with a list of files it needs, and have the
server return all the ones that are found?  That should make the whole
operation faster, since it'll be just one HTTP request/reply, instead of
(potentially) hundreds.

That starts getting more difficult for a few reasons.  First of all, the tracker
would have to return all the dependent files on the tracker in addition to the
requested files.  Many of these files could well be already present on the
end-user's machine.

Secondly, from an architectural perspective, LDView doesn't have an easy way to
produce the list.  The code that I have right now checks the tracker any time it
gets to a reference to a part file that it can't find.

We'd also have to agree on a format for the response containing the multiple
files.

So, to the admins of ldraw.org, what do you think?

I can't speak for LDraw proper, but from the server side, not a problem.

Thanks for the info.

--Travis