 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 938
Re: Which CAD program recommended for Mac??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 02:46:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Allen Smith wrote:
   By the way, I can’t document the rotation shortcuts directly in the menus because they aren’t associated with a modifier key. Using tooltips to

Actually, I just checked, and you can in Cocoa. Just uncheck all the modifiers in IB, and the menu will just show the letter (capitalized). Check the Shift modifier, and the menu will show that along with the letter. Furthermore, the keys automatically trigger the menu item (at least when a text view doesn’t have focus). (I mapped A without any modifiers to an About panel, and it worked fine.)

--Travis

The problem isn’t displaying un-modified keys, the problem is having those menu items work reliably. Un-modified menu items are very far back in the responder chain; if there is a responder before them, the system will never even attempt to deliver the key event to those items. While your test application happened to have no first responder, that is in practice a rare occurance.

Basically, the command key is magic. It goes through a completely separate code path. Command-modified key events are intercepted very high in the event processing hierarchy, then routed to the separate method -performKeyEquivalent: in a completely different order than regular keydowns. Command-keyups are simply swallowed by the system and never seen again. Because of the special command-key logic, menu items get first crack handling the event where they would ordinarily never see it.

In summary, yes I could put the un-modified key shortcuts in the menu, but it would be misleading because they would sometimes do nothing when it looked like they should. And the character-parsing logic still has to be implemented in my view anyway, because it’s key and prevents the menu items from being executed by their key equivalents.

Allen