 CAD / 15078
Re: Which CAD program recommended for Mac??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:21:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
   On another list--one about that best of all 20th Century novellist, Patrick O’Brian--I am kind of known as the LEGO guy. Had a question about which would be best CAD program for an Apple. Told her I would post to the experts. Any recocommendations would be apprecitate. As I have never used any of them--being an engraver on bricks instead of being a builder with bricks--I defer to the AKL on all subjects LEGO.

Hey, Tommy-

That would depend-- if he has a new Mac with the Intel chip, I’d say to go with MLCAD running Bootcamp. Otherwise, the choice would have to be Bricksmith.

JOHN

Ouch. Why is that?

Bricksmith and MLCad are definitely different. Bricksmith offers a Mac-friendly interface designed by a lifelong Mac user. It makes organizing a model into submodels and steps completely seamless. It offers an editor with which you can build a model and never see a transformation matrix. Bricksmith won’t leave you wondering what color 17 is, will never force you to do linear algebra to rotate a part, and will always let you hit undo when you do something wrong.

That said, Bricksmith is missing several MLCad Power User features, particularly some important to LPub such as step rotation, “ghost” parts (no, not hidden parts), and buffer exchanges. Bricksmith also doesn’t have built-in generators for hoses and springs, although LSynth is available on the Mac, so you can still make nifty stuff like that. Those omissions, however, are mostly fairly advanced features. I’m afraid I was never able to figure out what they did in the first place until Kevin Clague kindly taught me.

I personally find Bricksmith an friendlier environment to simply build a model and arrange it into steps. It’s not just because using Bricksmith means I don’t have to use Windows. It’s because I genuinely believe my software is mostly a nicer process for assembling a model. But I might be a little biased.

Allen