 CAD / 15109
Re: Which CAD program recommended for Mac??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:39:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
On another list--one about that best of all 20th Century novellist, Patrick
O'Brian--I am kind of known as the LEGO guy. Had a question about which
would be best CAD program for an Apple. Told her I would post to the
experts. Any recocommendations would be apprecitate. As I have never used
any of them--being an engraver on bricks instead of being a builder with
bricks--I defer to the AKL on all subjects LEGO.

Hey, Tommy-

That would depend-- if he has a new Mac with the Intel chip, I'd say to go
with MLCAD running Bootcamp.  Otherwise, the choice would have to be
Bricksmith.

[JOHN]

Sigh.

  My preference would be to have one problem on both environments.

  Unfortunatly MLCad will not be going open source.  It almost happened.

  I asked Allan Smith about having bricksmith ported to the PC, but he's not
even slightly interested.  I *know* that Allan suffers from what we all suffer:
real life getting in the way of LEGO.

  I had the pleasure of meeting Allan at the last Brickfest I attended.  Allan,
how's the house remodling going?

  I had hoped for a cross platform WYSIWYG  model editor so LPub could integrate
with it so you could do all model (not thought about part editing) editing with
one application.

  LPub 4.0 *will* work on any platform supported by Qt

http://trolltech.com/products/qt/features

  including Mac, windows, unix and embedded linux.

  After I get my tax rebate I will be buying a Mac and personally develop and
test both platforms.  I guess I can port it to my solaris machines at work too.
I've tried not to do anything anti-Mac, but I'm afraid my noviciate status there
might allow some mistakes.

  Any Mac *and* Qt software development experts out there?

Kevin