 CAD / 15070
Re: Which CAD program recommended for Mac??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 20:00:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.cad, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
On another list--one about that best of all 20th Century novellist, Patrick
O'Brian--I am kind of known as the LEGO guy. Had a question about which
would be best CAD program for an Apple. Told her I would post to the
experts. Any recocommendations would be apprecitate. As I have never used
any of them--being an engraver on bricks instead of being a builder with
bricks--I defer to the AKL on all subjects LEGO.

That would depend-- if he has a new Mac with the Intel chip, I'd say to go
with MLCAD running Bootcamp.  Otherwise, the choice would have to be
Bricksmith.

I would recommend <http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/ Bricksmith> in either
case.

I'm going to have to disagree.  As a long time MLCad user and a recent Mac
convert (Nov 2007), I feel that while Bricksmith is a very good program, it has
some very definite drawbacks that makes it difficult to use.

Here's a list from off the top of my head (keep in mind that it's not all
inclusive):
- No click and drag support in the view windows.  Clicking and dragging simply
changes the view settings to "3D" and rotate the model.
- No keyboard shortcuts for changing colors, adding parts, changing grid
granularity, rotating parts, etc...  It's almost as if the program wants to
force you to use the mouse.
- No way to select and move/rotate more than one part at a time.
- While this a personal preference, I not a big fan of the 3 views on the left
and one large view in the right.  With smaller screens it tends to squish the
usable space to a level that is just too small

The first 3 are deal breakers for me to the point where I've switched back to
using MLCad with VMWare Fusion.  I gave it a good faith effort and only switched
when my frustration exceeded my productivity.

The good is that Bricksmith is open source and I can have a look at the code and
tinker if I feel like it.  Maybe, if I have time, I can add some of my requests
and send the code to Allen.

-Orion