 CAD / 15114
Re: Which CAD program recommended for Mac??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:13:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Any Mac *and* Qt software development experts out there?

Well, I wouldn't really call myself a Mac expert OR a QT expert, but I'm at
least familiar with both.  I did the initial port of LDView to QT years ago, but
that's now maintained by Peter Bartfai.  However, I do get into the QT code
enough to have some familiarity (although it's QT 3.3, not QT 4.x).

<snip>

If you have any specific questions about my experiences, though, feel free to
drop me a line.

--Travis

Hi Travis,

  Very nice to hear about your experiences.  I need many layers of Mac
experience.  The first and foremost (until I get myself a Mac and get ramped up
in the development environment) is being able to build LPub for the Mac.  Orion
has some down level code, but he could not get it to build, even though it built
well on Windows.

  The second highest priority is Mac look and feel.  I don't want LPub 4.0 to
look like a windows application that is ported to the Mac. I think the Mac user
interface is superior primarily because of its intuitive nature.

  I'd rather have LPub look like a Mac application running on Windows, than a
Windows app running on a Mac.  I'm sure there are some mechanical issues there,
but also a fair amount of philosophy for me to learn.

  So, any help you could give Orion on building would be very comforting to me.

Kevin