 CAD / 15074
Re: Which CAD program recommended for Mac??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 02:10:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:

- No click and drag support in the view windows.  Clicking and dragging simply
changes the view settings to "3D" and rotate the model.

True. That is a definite difference.

Yes, this is very annoying as using the arrow keys to move a part/assembly all
the way across the model can be slow and painful, especially since Bricksmith
doesn't seem to display cursor coordinates.

Moving things manually a long distance is cumbersome, even with the coarse grid.

The inspector does show the coordinates of the selected part or submodel,
although I'm not sure if that's what you mean by cursor coordinates. Note that
if you do have some coordinates in mind, you can just type them in to the
inspector to put the part there directly. (For instance, to move a brick from
300 units right of the origin to 300 units left of the origin, just type "-300"
in the X location field of the inspector.)

Display the inspector by double-clicking an item in the file contents list or by
choosing Show Info from the Tools menu. You can leave it open; it updates with
info for the currently selected part.

- No keyboard shortcuts for changing colors, adding parts, changing grid
granularity, rotating parts, etc...  It's almost as if the program wants to
force you to use the mouse.

False.

Keyboard controls for changing colors: Command-option-c to display color panel,
tab and arrows to select color.

Ok, I see.  I'd like functionality to type in the color number

That'd be handy. I think Bricksmith's color capabilities could use plenty of
improvement; primarily, I'd like to see support for ldconfig.ldr. Bricksmith's
knowledge of colors is currently hard-coded.

I get the impression Allen intended to conceal the details of color codes from
the user, presenting only names and color samples. I suppose there's a case to
be made for that, since the association between red and "4" is not readily
apparent to most people, but I'd find direct color code editing useful, too.

Keyboard shortcuts to rotate parts: x, y, and z for rotation about the
respective axis. Hold down shift as well to rotate in the opposite direction.

Also, note that holding down option while moving parts with the arrow keys
permits movement along the third axis. (Normally the arrows move parts in two
dimensions relatively perpendicular to the view.)

These last 2 seem to be undocumented.  Thanks for the tip

No problem. I learned about these keyboard shortcuts from the aptly-named
"Secret Shortcut Keys" section of the Read Me file.

- No way to select and move/rotate more than one part at a time.

False.

Shift-click to select multiple parts in any view or in the file contents list.
You can also command-click in the file contents list to select multiple parts
without selecting the intervening parts as well. (Shift- and command-clicking to
select multiple items is just a Mac convention, I guess; try it anywhere you see
a list of selectable items.)

You can move and rotate a multi-part selection as a group using the keyboard
(arrows + x/y/z) or the toolbar icons, just as with individual parts. The Move
and Rotate panels available under the Edit menu provide greater control of these
manipulations. In particular, the Rotate panel allows you to choose the type and
origin of rotation.

As above this is also appears to be undocumented and the Move/Rotate panels
don't have keyboard shortcuts (unless they too are undocumented).

True. Shift/command-clicking for multiple selection isn't really a feature
unique to Bricksmith, and I guess it was expected that the Move and Rotate
panels would be self-explanatory. Do you think a little demo tutorial of the
Move and Rotate panels would be useful (for you or in general)?

Although you can assign custom keyboard shortcuts to almost any menu items with
System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard shortcuts, I too think it would be
best if keyboard equivalents were available by default for as many things as
possible.

Multiple
selection and movement/rotation is a must given the high symmetry of most Lego
models.

Also it helps things go quicker if I can duplicate and reuse parts
without re-adding them via the Parts Browser.

Command-d (Duplicate under the Edit menu) duplicates the selection and selects
the duplicate so it is ready to move.

And, of course, if you are duplicating groups of parts it is really advantageous
to create them as submodels. Choose "Add Model" from the Model menu to create a
new model, and select a submodel from the "Insert Reference" Model submenu to
insert an instance of that model in the current model as a single
easily-manipulated component. Use the File Contents drawer to navigate between
submodels, or choose one to edit from the bottom of the Model menu.

Thanks again for the tips.  As you can tell, I like to use the keyboard as much
as possible so forcing me to use buttons and menu items just frustrates me.

You're welcome! I tend to agree with you: I rely on buttons and menu items when
I'm experimenting with a new program, but once I'm familiar with its features it
certainly feels more efficient to use the keyboard. I have petitioned for better
keyboard support myself, and the version of Bricksmith now in CVS includes
keyboard controls for the view angles (numeric keypad).

Jim