 CAD / 15116
Re: Which CAD program recommended for Mac??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:29:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  Very nice to hear about your experiences.  I need many layers of Mac
experience.  The first and foremost (until I get myself a Mac and get ramped up
in the development environment) is being able to build LPub for the Mac.  Orion
has some down level code, but he could not get it to build, even though it built
well on Windows.

  The second highest priority is Mac look and feel.  I don't want LPub 4.0 to
look like a windows application that is ported to the Mac. I think the Mac user
interface is superior primarily because of its intuitive nature.

  I'd rather have LPub look like a Mac application running on Windows, than a
Windows app running on a Mac.  I'm sure there are some mechanical issues there,
but also a fair amount of philosophy for me to learn.

That's probably doable (at least mostly).  However, it would likely involve not
using certain Mac features (like drawers).  The other thing is that Mac apps
often use something called an Inspector.  This is like a properties dialog,
except that it's modeless, and it sticks around until the user closes it.  You
can leave it open, and it tracks the current selection.  This is fairly similar
to a pinned properties dialog in Windows apps, but while properties dialogs tend
to be part of multi-document-interface (MDI) UIs in Windows, Macs don't have MDI
interfaces.  (On the Mac each document has its own top-level window.)  This is a
point where you would almost certainly be best off having platform-specific code
to change the name of the dialog.  Call it "Properties" on Windows, and call it
"Inspector" on the Mac.

  So, any help you could give Orion on building would be very comforting to me.

If you're willing to send me the source, I'll see about building it myself, and
try to document the process.  I can then give the documentation to Orion, and he
can see if my documentation is accurate.

--Travis