 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 791
Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 20:50:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Ross Crawford wrote:

   In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona wrote:

   In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Joshua Delahunty wrote:

It’s easy to combine unofficial files and official into one repository if they arrive separated. Quite a bit more difficult to go the other way round.

Also, having all the unofficial parts in a separate directory makes it easy to check if your models rely on any unofficial parts. If you temporarily rename the unofficial directory, Bricksmith (and presumably other programs) will identify which parts can’t be found (the unofficial ones).

Well I would argue that is forcing the user to do something the program could do much more easily (and accurately).

Absolutely. But until such time as a program like that is available, I’m most interested in what can be done pragmatically with the tools available now.

I’ve probably just confused the discussion of plans for future improvements - in which case I definitely endorse the development of more robust tools - with thoughts about how people can make the best use of LDraw today.

   Both those make the assumption that the contents of the standard LDraw directory are always official, and the contents of the “Unofficial” directory are always unofficial. I have many unofficial parts in my standard directory, and I prefer it that way. In fact the only time I have ever used a directory other than the standard is when authoring my own parts.

Fair enough. What I had in mind when I considered the separation of official and unofficial parts is the case of the casual new user: the kid who downloads a standard LDraw package to try playing with some Legos on the computer, finds some models on Brickshelf, and tries to load them, only to discover that a bunch of parts are missing. I like the idea of being able to share model designs so that’s what got me thinking about the portability of part references from one machine to another. Happily, programs like LDView that download missing parts pretty much dispel the problem!

Jim