 CAD / Development / 10558
Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:38:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:

And sorry to reply to myself... Could people using older operating systems test this?

I’m happy to maintain the status quo if there are problems but if no-one finds problems then I think we make the majority suffer for something that isn’t really a problem.

Tim

Well, I made a small program in Delphi 7 that lists the command line parameters, drag and dropped a file named “LongFileName.dat” in it, and here is the surprising result: http://web.telia.com/~u66203131/pix/ShowParms.jpg (Running on a Win98SE PC.)

So I think long file names still has the potential to cause problems. That is, if I’m not guilty of bad programming in this test.

It would be interesting if someone could voulenteer to try the result on an XP machine. Here’s my test program: http://web.telia.com/~u66203131/pix/ShowParameters.exe

Here’s the output on XP.

ROSCO

Thanks,

Well well, first advantage of downgrading to XP, I guess.

Just to be sure, you did drag and drop into the “application”, or did you write it in a command line?

/Tore