 CAD / Development / 10559
Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Allen Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:

   I would certainly recommend against using spaces in filenames as Linux (and possibly MacOSX) won’t like it.

The only character either Linux or Mac OS X is allergic to is ’/’. Spaces are perfectly acceptable under both. One need only take care that any paths fed to the shell are properly escaped. Ideally anybody writing shell scripts or system() calls would handle special shell characters in their input. Admittedly this is not always the case, but such cases should be considered bad coding. (For example, Apple once released an iTunes updater that could rm the hard drive because they forgot spaces in volume names.)

Allen

Yeah I know they can be included but it’s usually a safe idea not to. When setting a standard I’d be wary of allowing anything that is commonly poorly interpreted (which I suspect the escaped characters are).

Tim