 CAD / Development / 10553
Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:08:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Personally I’m against maintaining it. It forces us into strange naming conventions for something which probably affects no users of the software.

Tim

It it really so? We still use renderers and utilities that have command line inputs, and I don’t know but I have a strong feeling that long names may cause problems like “Unofficial” turs into “Unoffi~1” followed by path not found errors. And the next step, using space chars in a path or file name is no doubt equal to asking for trouble.

First of all, I agree that we should avoid using space in filenames for all official stuff. It’s just too problematic. However, that’s not a reason to forbid the use of long filenames in general.

The thing is, any program that doesn’t support long filenames is almost certainly not being updated. So it’s not going to support something like the Unofficial directory anyway. Command line Windows programs (like l3p) happily support long filenames. The only programs that don’t are those that are compiled with a DOS compiler.

   I suggest we all try to do programs that support all kinds of file names, but when naming official folders and files, we stick to the problem free standard to avoid unnecessary bug reports and support requests.

I’m ambivalent on this. Filenames for all files in the official library still have to conform to the 8.3 DOS filename standard. That’s because they have to render correctly in ldraw/ledit. Given that those programs are the original reason for the existence of the library, I can understand this. I’m not entirely sure it’s still a good reason, but I’m not going to argue against it.

However, this proposal for having “Unofficial” be the name of a directory inside the LDraw directory that contains its own PARTS and P subdirectories is in a fundamentally different category. It’s functionality that would only be supported in programs that are actively being updated. All such programs shouldn’t have a problem with long filenames. So, to me, I don’t think it should be vetoed simply because it is a long filename.

Note that both Allen Smith (the author of Bricksmith) and I (the author of LDView) independently decided to look for files in this directory. There was no communication between us and we weren’t aware of what the other had done. To me, that indicates that what we decided on is a fairly natural thing to do.

   (As I took my first steps into the world of PC in pre-Windows environemts, I find the non-DOS naming conventions (or rather, lack of conventions) very strange) ;)

And I find the DOS naming convention unnecessarily obtuse and limiting. It was somewhat appropriate for its time (when 360KB was a lot of disk space), but hasn’t been appropriate for about 20 years now. In other words, I think MS should have introduced long filename support LONG before Win95 was introduced. In fact, MS-DOS 2.0 (1983) would have been the most logical time to do this, at the same time they added support for subdirectories.

--Travis