 CAD / Development / 10563
10562  |  10564
Subject:
I hereby accect long file names!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 23:32:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:
   Well, I made a small program in Delphi 7 that lists the command line parameters, drag and dropped a file named “LongFileName.dat” in it, and here is the surprising result: http://web.telia.com/~u66203131/pix/ShowParms.jpg (Running on a Win98SE PC.)

My best guess is at that time MS was trying to make things safe for old programs (although it seems senseless for them to have done this with Win32 apps). If you call the Win32 function GetLongPathName on the short path, it will give you the long path. If you’re worried about users not liking that ~ crap in the files they see, that’s apparently required in Win 9x.

It’s an utterly complicated way, but it works! Only problem is that GetLongPathName erases all other kinds of command line parameters.

Now that I know that at least it is possible to avoid shortened pathnames, I rest my case. I no longer oppose the use long file or path names.

/Tore