 CAD / Development / 8710
Re: Embedded language support in LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
At this rate, I'll never get back to LSynth :^)

Yeah, I noticed the tcl/tk version of the LSynth GUI didn't
get too many comments.

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=8673

The LSynth GUI is such a no-brainer, I thought I'd leave that as an exercise
for the student.  The only reason I wrote it was to prevent annoying comments
from my editor because he doesn't have a clue on how to run a command line.

IMHO LSynth GUI provides no added value beyond the annoyance prevention, but I
started on teletypes and paper tape, then pencil marked cards.  A simple
command prompt is way handier than either of those.  LOL!

Have you had any thoughts on how to make the LPub GUI portable?
It's a bit heftier than the LSynth GUI, but it's probably doable
in tcl/tk.

Yes.  I have from the beginning.  The GUI interface settings are internalized
to into variables of my chosen types, and then used in the processing steps,
rather than having the processing steps deal directly with the values • contained
in the GUI controls, so some of the work is there.

I know it would be valuable, but not to me.  This is what inspired me to say • it
may be time to opensource LPub.

OK, so I've been a little overwhelmed with the whole LPub extension topic, so
this seems a little harsh in hindsight.  I didn't mean to sound so selfish.

Open source and multiple platform are both goals, but there are other things I
want to get in first.

Don

Too many good ideas for me to do on my own.

Kevin