 CAD / Development / 8699
Re: Embedded language support in LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:52:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Wayne Gramlich writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
Hi All,

LPub fans may be aware that I'm planning on adding scripting language
support into LPub to let the *power* users do what they want, including
prototyping new features that may someday be incorporated directly into LPub.

The idea behind providing a scripting language into LPub potentially
provides support for batch renderings of individual images or multiple sets
of building instructions, intelligent web page generation with advanced page
layout capabilities, label maker capabilities, and pre and post processing
of LPub's outputs at each phase of the building instruction generation process.

I've not really decided if the scripting language will be perl or Tcl.  I
have started working on the capabilities the scripting language needs (the
interface between your scripts and LPub's C++ code.)  I've outlined some of
the ideas in http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/~1527 for those who want to
review and feedback.

Feedback on the choice of perl or Tcl is also welcome.  I much prefer
perl's scripting syntax over Tcl's, plus I know perl.

Kevin

Kevin:

Before you choose between Tcl and Perl, you might want to broaden
your focus a little.  Neither Tcl nor Perl are particularly good
extensibility languages, even though Tcl was ostensibly designed
as an extensibility language.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion Wayne.

My first recommendation for extensiblity is to choose a language
neutral strategy that I'll elaborate on further below.  The
second choice is probably Java/BeanShell.   The third choice is
Python.  The distant fourth choice is Tcl with Perl coming in
dead last.

I'll go for the language neutral socket solution.

By far the best extensiblity solution is language neutral.
With this strategy, you add some code to LPub to allow it
to be accessed via a TCP/IP connection.  For example, you
would add the "-s <port>" option ot LPub to cause it to
go into server mode listening on <port>.

I'll only allow one connection though, at least until I reorganize my data.

<snip>

I'll stop here for now.  If the concept appeals to you and
you have further questions, please feel free to ask them.

At first my head started spinning through all this brainstorming.  I've
gotten my sea legs back and I'm feeling better now.

My $.02,

-Wayne

I like your $.02 Wayne.

Kevin