 CAD / Development / 8706
Re: Embedded language support in LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:30:29 GMT

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:HD4J8p.wEF@lugnet.com...

[ ... snippped ... ]

Would it also be possible to access the names of the generated files?

Yes.  I can see the need for the name of the generated file at each post
processing step.  Did you want a list of *all* the files generated for a
given entire model as well?

From your discussion on how LPub operates, it generates a lot more files
than I realized (I never thought about generating the .dat files for the BOM
elements, etc.).  However, I think that if it isn't a significant amount of
work, exposing all of the generated file names would be a good idea.

Certainly access to the generated POV files is needed.  My original request
to be able to script LPub came from a desire to touch all of the generated
POV files (I wanted to swap out the lighting block for an include file I
use) prior to them being rendered.

[ ... snippped ... ]

Good.  This is the kind of stuff I envisioned people doing.  One minor
problem though, your above algorithm won't work too well.  A given FILE in
MPD can be used at more than one level of hierarchy at a time, so
lpubGetHierarchyLevel result can be ambiguous.

You are absolutely right, I use multiple instances of the same sub-model all
the time.  I probably should have called it something like
lpubGetInstanceHierarchyLevel where the term Instance indicates that it is
the current instance being operated on.

I think that instead this should be handled as a pre-processing step for • the
L3P process, as well as a pre-processing step for the Part List Image
generation step.

That probably makes sense.  My example was intended to exhibit something I
might do, not exactly how it would be done - that will be dependent on what
the final implementation of LPub provides.  Your recent article on how LPub
really operates (what it does at each step) was very enlightening, thanks
for sharing that level of detail.

The traversal of the hierarchy is inherently recursive, not iterative.

Hope this helps.

Yes. It does.

Excellent.  Again, I appreciate your willingness to listen to your user
base.

Mike - mike_walsh at mindspring dot com