 CAD / Development / 8707
Re: LPub extendability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:44:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jack Hawk writes:
Kevin,

Let me preface my response by saying I'm a programmer,
but with zero socket or plug-in experience; I've never
had a need to do either.

Now the reason I've de-lurked: you've suggested a
couple times that you would incorporate useful code
into the core of LPub. This sounds good, but seems
like a lot of extra work for you maintaining LPub. Why
not follow the lead of LDDP and keep useful code
modular in the form of plugins? I think this would be
highly useful, allowing users to customize as they
wish and IF there were to be different solutions to a
common "problem," a user can select the one best for
their needs.

Again, I'm on the outside looking in, so I'm not sure
how valuable my input is. I'll just leave my penny on
the table and exit the room quietly now.

Hi Jack,
  I appreciate your input.  No need to leave.  I guess the only reason I
thought it would be good is for non-power users.  Give them one stop shopping.
LPub already has pretty big external program dependency list.  I've spent a lot
of time helping people just with the installation issues.  These get more
complicated if the user has to go out and get these three plug ins to get what
has become standard issue.

  As I said, generably valuable and with the inventor's permission, plus
acknowledgement of the inventor in documentation.

Kevin

Jack Hawk,
AFOL, St. Louis

--- "Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote:
[snip]
2. Development of entirely new algorithms and
facilities without the need
for Kevin to develop them.  With permission, new
generally valuable
algorithms can then be incorporated into LPub's core
code.
[snip]