 CAD / Development / 8711
Re: LPub extendability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:04:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jack Hawk writes:
Kevin,

Let me preface my response by saying I'm a programmer,
but with zero socket or plug-in experience; I've never
had a need to do either.

Now the reason I've de-lurked: you've suggested a
couple times that you would incorporate useful code
into the core of LPub. This sounds good, but seems
like a lot of extra work for you maintaining LPub. Why
not follow the lead of LDDP and keep useful code
modular in the form of plugins? I think this would be
highly useful, allowing users to customize as they
wish and IF there were to be different solutions to a
common "problem," a user can select the one best for
their needs.

I want to put no limitations on what people contribute to LPub, because I could
use the help.

I originally imagined that the "LPub extension" stuff would simply be GUI free,
behind the scenes code that would make LPub deviate from its normal behavior by
modifying LPub's internal variables, modifying files produced by LPub, or
creating files like web pages instead of using LPub's trivial web page
generator.

You've opened my eyes to the possibility that folks might use the same
mechanisms to create new GUI interfaces.

LPub started out as a perl script, because all it really is is a batch
processor that automates a bunch of processing.  95% of LPub's GUI provides the
ability to alter parameters that affect the production of images.  Only a small
amount of LPub's interface makes LPub actually *do* anything.  It is not an
editor like MLCad, so I'm not sure what GUI extensions people would want to add
that are comparable to LLDP's add ons. But I'm sure someone might think of
something.  I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Again, I'm on the outside looking in, so I'm not sure
how valuable my input is. I'll just leave my penny on
the table and exit the room quietly now.

Hey man, everyone else keeps leaving two pennies. LOL!

Kevin

Jack Hawk,
AFOL, St. Louis

--- "Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote:
[snip]
2. Development of entirely new algorithms and
facilities without the need
for Kevin to develop them.  With permission, new
generally valuable
algorithms can then be incorporated into LPub's core
code.
[snip]