 CAD / Development / 8687
Re: Embedded language support in LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:00:32 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
news:20030408192657.GE15747@peeron.com...
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 05:16:53PM +0000, Mike Walsh wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

Which, btw, brings up another point - I don't have statistics, but I
think the perl userbase is much larger, meaning a higher percentage of
users would be able to use it.  I may be mistaken though.

[ ... snipped ... ]

This would be an interesting statistic to know.  I wonder how one might find
this out.  Somewhere on the web there has to be some statistics.

It may be my narrow view of the world but my guess is there may be more
people who write Perl scripts than write Tcl scripts.  By a script I mean a
file with Perl or Tcl code in it designed to peform some task.

However, I would bet there are more people who use Tcl based applications
than Perl based applications.  By an application I mean a piece of software
designed to do some task that has a scripting engine in it that allows a
user to automate or extend the functionality of that tool.

Debating languages is like debating politics and religion.  There really
aren't any right answers, only opinions and those without one that you hope
to influence!  ;-)

I am sure there is a Perl equivalent of this somewhere ...

Why Tcl is better than Perl:  http://www.scriptics.com/advocacy/perl.html

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com