 CAD / Development / 8681
Re: Embedded language support in LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:16:53 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
news:20030408155024.GC15747@peeron.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

it's true that Tcl is probably easier to read and support, over the
phone.  Perl is more powerful, and therefor harder to understand what a
user is trying to do in his code.

Not just over the phone, live and in person as well.  More powerful does not
always mean something s better.  Perl allows people to do a lot of
processing in a very compact syntax.  That can be a good thing or a bad
thing.  The usage of some of Perl's compact syntax can result in code that
is very hard to understand - sometimes even for the author if they haven't
looked at it in a while.  Of course well commented code usually alleviates
these types of problems but it is hard to depend on users to comment their
code well.

I'm not sure this would be an issue for LPub though.

[ ... snipped ... ]

I am curious as to why this might not be an issue for LPub?  With Kevin's
book on the shelves of bookstores (at least I assume it is), there is likely
to be a community of people who are not LUGNET users nor are they hard core
computer users who will be introduced to LPub and all of the other L-Draw
related tools.

I would think the last thing Kevin would want is to start receiving lots of
e-mail on how to this and how to do that with LPub.  With a fairly small and
what appears to be a highly computer literate user base, LPub can currently
assume a certain level of savy.  I don't think that will always be the case.
LPub has already made it possible for a lot of people to create very nice
instructions quickly who previously didn't have the patience or possibly the
know how to work through the tedious instruction building process.

Imagine a 7th grade class being introduced to ML-CAD and related L-Draw
tools for a LEGO based computer project?  Is that audience better served
with a language like Perl or Tcl?  Is a 7th grade class even a target
audience?

Another $0.02 from me - now I am up to $0.04 as well!  ;-)

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com