 CAD / Development / 8701
Re: Embedded language support in LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:09:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Wayne Gramlich writes:
No matter what stategy is taken, there needs to be a documentation
effort to describe what features of LPub are going to be provided
for extensibility.

Agreed.  It does seem a bit silly to spend all this time discussing
languages and protocols when we don't even know what LPUB features
will be accessed by said languages and protocols.

I've tried to outline some of the interface on
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/~1527.

I think that both topics are relevent now.  The protocol is easier to lock
down than the extensibility, because that will be forever growing and changing.

With regards to XML-RPC, it appears to require a connection set up
and tear down for each command; hence, I doubt it is a very good
match for LPub extensibility.

I'm not sure how you can have those doubts when we don't even know
what sort of features we're talking about.  The connection latency
is tiny compared to a human being moving the mouse and clicking on
a button.  It's nothing compared to a POV render.

It is hard to get much simpler than send a command line followed
by a new-line character and get a response back followed by another
new line character.  Yes, you have to document the command line
format and response line format, but you have to provide documenation
anyhow.

True.  And I have to admit, it's nice to be able to telnet into a
server and type the commands by hand.  But then you also have to
worry about error handling, parsing in different languages, and now
with everything connected to the internet, security is a big issue.
With XML-RPC you have many other people already doing the code to
handle that for you.  Plus it's a thin enough layer that you can
still type the commands by hand if you want to.

Anyhow, it's just something to consider, so I thought I'd toss the
idea out there.  As you said, the most important thing at this point
is to document the extensible features, and that's up to Kevin.

Is anyone out there interested in helping develop the documentation of the
facilities and eventually the protocol?

I'm really grateful for all the brainstorming about where to take LPub in
the future, but the engineering 80/20 rule is rearing its ugly head.

It takes 20% of the work to get 80% of the value (I think I've done this
part), and the remaining 80% of the work to get the last 20% of the value.
It looks like it is time to open source LPub and get some help.  Lets not
forget that my first love in LEGO is building.  Documenting is a secondary
issue :^)

At this rate, I'll never get back to LSynth :^)

Don

Kevin