 CAD / Development / 727
726  |  728
Subject:
Our Modeling Future. (Was:Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 06:33:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roy Earls writes:
I totally agree, we should find a public or freeware CAD program to do the
mundane for us in modeling.  I also agree that finding something we can all
agree on would be monumental task.  I would love to be able to use MAX
output ( as I've previous stated), but don't have enough information about
the program itself for it to useful.  Heck, it took me nearly three months
to find a converter that will handle PRJ files and then I found myself
looking at a new package when MAX hit the street with a new file format.  If
I'm wrong here and you know of a converter (stand alone if possible) for MAX
please be my guest and slam me HARD with the information (hint...hint).

I personally use ACAD, but not very often now days.  I find myself using
Rhino most often for modeling and a little program called Pixel3D for it
model modification options.  I render with POV and use Moray to modify POV
scenes on occasion.  I have a large library of other modelers found on WEB
(up to date more or less to a six month period.

Of all the modelers I've looked at in the last few years I've never found
one that covered all the bases without costing more than I can afford for my
"hobby".  My director of finance (otherwise known as my wife) takes a dim
view of any expense incurred for me to play.  Even though she would never (I
hope) become violent, she does pack a mean tongue and besides it's winter
here and too cold to sleep with the dog.  On top of that, old Sam doesn't
like sharing his fleas and I don't blame him much since he has spent all
these years interviewing only the most fierce sort.

Tangent aside, if we can come up with a good program that everyone can get
on board with, I'm with you.

Roy

it was paul gyugi who mentioned the shareware proggy i spoke of... here's his
original post:

The part was modeled in AC3D, a great cross-platform shareware
modelling program available at:
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/andy/ac3d.html

paul also has access to ACAD (i would infer from his offer to send element
meshes in DXF format, as well as his writing the DAT2DXF converter)... so he
will be a great source of information on what other avenues we may want to
explore.

i think it would be a great idea for any of us with experience modeling in
different packages to get on board as a "committee" to evaluate our options and
see if we can arrive at a recomendation for the community.. anyone with
experience in as many packages as yourself is a great asset in this situation
because it will help to balance the evaluation of the benefits and deterimnents
of whatever apps we consider... i'll take a look at the ac3d package ASAP...
and i think we should start hearing recommendations from anyone everyone on
apps they've used that might fit the bill...

my goal is to model a piece in a single app and not have to edit a single line
of it for it to be a "complete" element... this may seem impossible, but in
reality if our "ldraw2" program could read a native file format from any decent
modeler then we would never have to hack a vertex matrix ever again... the
largest amount of my time is spent tweaking things ever so slightly *long*
after i've converted my mesh from MAX, just to correct things that my
converter can't make perfect on its own... if i only had to create the part in
MAX then i'd be able to throw out 2-3 elements a *day*... we need that kind of
power on our side

    ----- ------ --- - --- -
onyx@flash.net/ /
               -
Running 3DSMAX??? then get the MAX2DAT converter at:
www.flash.net/~onyx/MAX2DAT/MAX2DAT.html

Using L3P to create POV-Ray files??? then get the front end at:
www.flash.net/~onyx/L3PAO/L3PAO.html