 CAD / Development / 724
Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:41:44 GMT

I totally agree, we should find a public or freeware CAD program to do the
mundane for us in modeling.  I also agree that finding something we can all
agree on would be monumental task.  I would love to be able to use MAX
output ( as I've previous stated), but don't have enough information about
the program itself for it to useful.  Heck, it took me nearly three months
to find a converter that will handle PRJ files and then I found myself
looking at a new package when MAX hit the street with a new file format.  If
I'm wrong here and you know of a converter (stand alone if possible) for MAX
please be my guest and slam me HARD with the information (hint...hint).

I personally use ACAD, but not very often now days.  I find myself using
Rhino most often for modeling and a little program called Pixel3D for it
model modification options.  I render with POV and use Moray to modify POV
scenes on occasion.  I have a large library of other modelers found on WEB
(up to date more or less to a six month period.

Of all the modelers I've looked at in the last few years I've never found
one that covered all the bases without costing more than I can afford for my
"hobby".  My director of finance (otherwise known as my wife) takes a dim
view of any expense incurred for me to play.  Even though she would never (I
hope) become violent, she does pack a mean tongue and besides it's winter
here and too cold to sleep with the dog.  On top of that, old Sam doesn't
like sharing his fleas and I don't blame him much since he has spent all
these years interviewing only the most fierce sort.

Tangent aside, if we can come up with a good program that everyone can get
on board with, I'm with you.

Roy