 CAD / Development / 666
665  |  667
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:52:06 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote:

1) Support for a "virtual filesystem" such as what can be found in a
.tgz file.  This is especially useful for the parts directory.

Yes, that would be useful.  It's also absurd that an application would
need to worry about that, since Linux can do that at the OS level.
But, I havn't ported to Linux yet, so I don't have much room to
complain.

2)  I can quite easily envision models where parts of the instructions
would best be illustrated from one particular view, while other parts of
the instructions would best be illustrated from certain other views.
The ability to force particular views for particular steps during
instruction display would be beneficial.

A meta command to change options in the middle of the file is in the
works, but that doesn't solve the whole problem.  You have to clear
and redraw the model from the beginning.

For now, the best approach is to put each step in its own .dat file,
(or in its own "0 FILE" section of an MPD) and do something like this:

0 Top view of first step
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part1.dat
0 STEP
0 CLEAR
0 Bottom  view - rotate 180 deg around x axis
0 ROTATE 180 1 0 0
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part1.dat
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part2.dat
0 ROTATE END
0 STEP
0 CLEAR
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part1.dat
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 part2.dat
1 16 ...

5) A revamped part specification.  A part should be allowed to have
truly curved surfaces... not just linear approximations thereof.  Say,
bezier patches?  Further, to simplify the definition of some parts, it

I think we are long overdue for a cylinder primitive.

-gyug