 CAD / Development / 665
Re: what is wrong with my parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:39:54 GMT

Jonathan,

Don't get discouraged, get better!  You have the basic skill for creating
parts, and as you continue to accept constructive criticism you will master
the more difficult skills.  My first patterned parts were rejected, too, for
the same problem.  I just kept asking questions until I became proficient at
doing it the right way.  I also spent time looking at what other authors
were doing, critiquing new parts (which almost always brought thanks from
the author).

As I did so, I gained a reputation for making excellent parts.  Now if I do
a difficult part and leave out an extremely difficult or unneccesary detail,
I usually get the benefit of the doubt.  If someone notices an error, I make
sure it gets fixed, learning something in the process.

I think your enthusiasm led you to offer a large number of parts with some
major deficiencies, and when other authors heard you were making parts based
on instuction pages, you lost that benefit of the doubt with most of them.
At a minumum, part authors expect a piece to be modelled with solid
components, and we don't expect parts to be "off" by 20 ldu, as in the case
of the baseplate.

You could of course go back to Red-Alert (I've sure spent a long night or
two blasting commies), or you could continue to author parts which capture
the essence of the real thing but do not meet the expectations of other
authors.  There are certainly those who would use your parts and enjoy
them--heck, I would if I really wanted a part but didn't have the time to
make it.

OR, you could concentrate on becoming a master part author, creating works
of art which online LEGO users will enjoy for years to come!  You won't
finish as many parts in the next month, but once you get really good you can
probably create great parts as fast as you now create mediocre parts.

I really hope you are willing to take this route, and I and other authors
are more than willing to work with you, critiquing your parts and offering
tips (like working from a physical part :-)  Your work in building official
sets will help create an awesome resource for online LEGO users, and
completing excellent, official parts for these sets would be a great
contribution.

-John Van