 CAD / Development / 659
658  |  660
Subject:
what is wrong with my parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:17:30 GMT

i just got word from terry that most of my parts did not get in...

i can understand that my method of making patterned parts is wrong...

BUT regarding my non patterned parts: i think that we should re-affrm the
central purpose of ldraw: it is a program for making lego models on your
computer. lets face it, the ldraw .dat file format is the central file format
for drawing lego on your compter. blockcad and leocad can both read and export
it. converters exlst to convert .dat files to autocad .dxf files, povray
renderings and several other formats.

i examined the parts already in ldraw and discovered that the needs work parts
are all missing details that don't affect the use of the part and therefore can
be omitted, just like several of my parts (baseplate 32 x 32 raised with ramp
springs to mind). what makes my parts different from, say the crane hook. the
crane hook is missing details that are unessential to the use of the part in
models and so is my raised baseplate. why cold my raised baseplate not go in
with a needs work tag?

the way i see it there are 2 camps in ldraw, pulling at it from different
sides.
there are those that want as many parts as possible as quickly as possible, so
that they can use ldraw to make cool models, both TLG amd MOC. these are the
kind of people who put purple/pink bricks into there models as subistutes unill
the real part is made and they are not affraid to use unofficial, imperfect or
mock-up parts. (as you may have gussed this is that camp i belong to) and the
other camp is the people who think that ldraw should be used as a parts
reference as well as a model making problem and want to see every part done
down to the minutest detail before it is usable. i imagine that there are
people whould like to see the lego logo on the studs, were it not for the
practical problems of this.

i ask people like tore ereckson, chris dee and steve bliss: were your first
attempts at making ldraw parts perfect?

i put a lot of hard work in to my raised baseplate and went through several
different versions before i considered it even worthy of submitting for vote. i
then went through several more before terry would accept it. i also has several
small problems pointed out uring the voting discussions which i fixed. i did
not have to make my parts. i did it because they are not in ldraw yet and i
thought that  hey, how hard can making ldraw parts be? ovbiosly you people
insist on making it much harder than it needs to be, with your insinstance that
every part be perfect. there should be several levels of ldraw part making:
1. fake elements: elements made clearly as placeholders and bear no resemblence
to the origional part.
2. mock-ups: parts made to look like the origional part but are clearly not
finished: like my minifig arrow bag or my train fromt sloping base. (from
http://members.xoom.com/wilsonj/).  someone looking at a ldrawn file should be
able to identify what part is being used without needing an explanation.
3.draft parts: like fredric glochners engine parts. these parts have been made
and released so that people can get them and use them without waiting for them
to be finished. these parts are what should get the needs work tag.
4.perfect parts: these are parts that have every detail done exactly.

it all boils down to this: how detailed do we need to make ldraw? i say that
usable is good enough for parts and that the missing details can be added at a
later date.

note that i am not putting you down but i get the impression that i am a
failure as a parts author and am seriosly thinking of giving up and switching
back to my red alert add-on, where my effort is appreciated. :(((((((((