 CAD / Development / 667
Re: what is wrong with my parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:34:31 GMT

i don't know how else to put this, so i'll be blunt...

in a word:

Quality.

it is apparent to me that you are trying for quantity in the amount of elements
you have been churning out and throwing to the community... that isn't what
we're after..

LDraw is a *CAD* program.. that is VERY important for context... if you've done
any drafting/design/modeling in the real world then you know that the most
important thing, the ideal that you strive for above all else, is accuracy.

anyone can throw together "mock up" parts, hell we could each make our own...
but for parts to be in the official library we feel that they should be
finalized, not just a "stand in" until we get around to it... if you want to
take on the responsibilty of being a part author, of having your named stamped
on official parts then you must be willing to meet the desired level of
workmanship that we collectively strive for.

if you have any questions about the level of detail, the quality expected, or
the methods you should follow to create parts that are up to snuff... i suggest
you open up some exising files... not just 1x2 bricks.. but some of the
monsters in the technic category... some of the elements that you can't slap
together with a string of primatives... look specifically at the work of Lutz
Uhlmann, Remco Braak, Chris Moseley, Leonardo Zide, Fredrik Glöckner or even
(at the risk of sounding narcisistic) myself...

(there are other great authors and i mean no offense by leaving any one out.. i
admire all my fellow authors.. they are the *best*... )

the point is that i looked at their work, comprehended what was expected and
strive to put out pieces that i am proud to have my name embedded in... that's
all we're asking, make them something you *and* the entire community can be
proud of... we'll wait forever (hehe.. just like terry had to for my large
technic shock) so it isn't a matter of getting it done fast.. just get it done
*right*