 CAD / Development / 719
Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:22:30 GMT

personally, i think we should look to a public-domain modeling tool for the
basis of our meshes in LDraw2... (i'd *prefer* we all just use MAX, but i know
that isn't possible for obvous reasons)... my point in this is that we need a
tool that does all the math for us... and we authors simply concentrate on what
we do, *modeling*... it's the entire reason why we have conversion programs to
go from ACAD and MAX... because the tools those apps provide totally negate
having to hack transformation/scaling/rotation matrices... we should strive to
find a common, freeware (at the very least, cheap shareware) modeling tool that
everyone can agree on... muilti-platform would be great... but what would be
most important is the ability to use a common file format... then we should use
this program's format as the basis of our primatives and elements... we could
write conversion proggy's for existing elements... but we need to use a MODELER
in the future... LEdit is no modeler.. and (at the risk of treading on sacred
ground) the .DAT format is not robust enough for us at the line type 2,3,4,5
level... i think the .DAT format is *great* at the parts level... but the fact
that so much of our authoring involves mathematically transforming verts gets
in the way of parts being built as quickly as possible...
sorry, i'm not trying to be all high and mighty here.. but look at what i've
churned out over the last month... all because i wrote a converter to take  me
from a *real* modeling proggy to .DAT format...
someone mentioned a freeware 3D modeler a couple of days ago... that's the
direction we should look in... make LDraw2 support a standard file format that
is output by a true modeling app and we'll all be much happier and much more
productive in the long run.

my $.02

(ducking for cover)