 CAD / Development / 743
Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:08:03 GMT

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:43:52 GMT, Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> wrote:

The *strength* of LDRAW is the Type 2 and Type 5 lines.

Going back to the question of new line-types in LDraw2, if we had all the
curved-surface types, there would be little or no use for the Type-5 line, as
long as we could specify that a specific object should be outlined/edged.

Or have separate line-types for drawing edges of curved surfaces/solids.  These
would specifically replace the optional-line commands in many primitives.

I would go for a flag to specify whether primitives are edged or un-edged, but
this can get us into a flexibility trap.  Does an edged cylinder mean to draw
the circles around the top and bottom as well as the side-edges?  If it does,
how can someone draw a cylinder with side edges, but no top and bottom edges?

I haven't looked at the LDraw2 specs in awhile, this may be rehash, but the
following are potential new line-types in LDraw2 (assuming we're sticking with
the basic DAT file format):

DISC (filled in 2D elliptical region, replaces N-Ydisc.dat primitives)
ARC (elliptical edge, replaces N-Yedge.dat primitives)
CYLINDER (Curved Surface, not 3D solid, replaces N-Ycyli.dat primitives)
CONE (Curved surface, not 3D solid, replaces N-YconZ.dat primitives)
RING (filled 2D elliptical region, replaces ringZ.dat and N-YringZ.dat
primitives)

That covers the majors, but leaves things like sloped cylinders (straight and
convex). A general solution for producing curved surfaces would be Very Good,
but Not Possible.

Steve