 CAD / Development / 4438
Re: L3PAO incompatibliity with Win2k? (was:Re: l3p hates me)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 03:19:19 GMT

Ok, fixed this problem.  After a better and more careful look at what
NTFilemon told me, I decided to create another LDraw directory within my
current LDraw directory.  I also now seem to remember this problem happening
originally as well.

Thanks for everyones help in the matter!
-Doug

In lugnet.cad, Doug Glasnapp writes:
Got on update on this situation.
Seems that L3PAO is not compatible with Windows 2000 in some way(maybe just on
my machine? i dunno).
When I booted into Windows 98 on the same machine, and ran the shortcut to the
same location, L3PAO worked.  All environment vars have been set properlyon
both partitions, ie LDRAWDIR and l3p in a PATH dir, and LDAO installed.

X-posted to lugnet.cad.dev, Since I think the developers should be aware, even
though they probably read lugnet.cad as well.  If this is a no-no, let me • know!

Thanks
-Doug

In lugnet.cad, Doug Glasnapp writes:
In lugnet.cad, Lars C. Hassing writes:
Doug Glasnapp wrote...
In lugnet.cad, Patricia Schempp writes:

anyway, one last
question, where do i need to put l3pao.exe so I don't get "runtime
error "76"
PATH not found" ?

I am recieving this error(runtime error 76, path not found) every time I
try
and run L3PAO after I have gone and reinstalled the whole
ldraw+l3p+ldao+l3lab+ldlite+mlcad+l3pao package.  I have l3p in a PATHed
dir,
and LDRAWDIR set in the environment varibles.  I am running Windows 2000,
and
I dont recall this happening when i was using 98.  If anyone has found a
answer to this problem, or the info is somewhere in a FAQ of some sort, or
in
another place I would be very thankful.
Thanks,
Doug

The first time I ran L3PAO I also got this runtime error 76:

L3PAO
Run-time error '76':
Path not found

Since it didn't tell which path it could not find, I ran this great
program from http://www.ntinternals.com called Filemon. I can monitor
every file being opened/read/written in Windows and any application.
I started Filemon and then double-clicked on l3pao.exe again.
And I could see that L3PAO failed to open %BaseDirectory%/L3P !

I don't know if Jeff fixed this, L3PAO should not rely on the existance
of such a directory.

But you can try creating a new (and empty) directory named L3P in the
LDraw directory.
/Lars

Well, tried making the L3P dir.  No luck.
Downloaded the filemon progie.
Looks like filemon people moved to here: http://www.sysinternals.com/.
Cool litte program!

I found out that the last file l3pao has a problem with is winhelp.ini.  I • did
a search for winhelp.ini on my win2k and 98 partitions.  No such file.  Did a
search on my winnt4 system.   No file.  So I create a empty file with the • name
in the d:\winnt\ dir (where its looking for it).  Still no luck since its
trying to read the contents and it doesnt have any to give.  The error
reported by the OS(via the filemon prog) is "RANGE NOT LOCKED".  I am • guessing
that L3PA0 needs some settings from the windows help system, and since they
(M$) have changed to a new HTML help system, im guessing its not availible
anymore.  I also could be compleley wrong! :)

L3PAO helped my create my 1st raytraces, without it I wouldnt have been able
to eventually do this:
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?n=3522
I would love to get it working again for me to raytrace some more of my
models.
Thanks
-Doug Glasnapp