 CAD / 2195
Re: l3p hates me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:19:54 GMT

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:03:59 GMT, Patricia Schempp <pschemp@clemson.edu> wrote:

John VanZwieten wrote:

Where did you put l3p?  I think the instructions said to place it in a
directory which is in your PATH statement, like c:\windows.  Then l3p will run
from anywhere, and the POV files (at least by default) end up in the directory
you are running it from.  Try running it from your LDraw directory, as this
removes the need for the LDRAWDIR variable to be working correctly (which
seems to be a problem for many people to get just right).

Hmm...how exactly do I do this?  I moved the l3p directory to c:windows and then
when i went to my ldraw directory  and typed l3p it just said bad command or
filename.  I really don't know crap about dos.  what is a PATH statement exactly?
I'm trying to keep stuff on my d drive, as c is filling up.  Can i run it form
something other than c?

The PATH statement simply tells the system where to look for files.  So you
could be in any directory and type 'l3p' on a command line and the system could
run it.  But why?  You don't need to run l3p from the command line.  That is
what shortcuts are for.  The shortcut you make has the info to find the program
- it doesn't need to look for it if it knows where it is.

What I did was to put the l3p and the l3pao programs directly into my POV
'include' directory.  Just dump 'em in there.  Just the two executables.   I
did this because l3p by default writes the POV output file to whatever
directory it is in.  So if you place it in the include directory, it is ready
to be used by POV.

So the SET command in your autoexec.bat file tells l3p where to find the model
file, and putting the program where you want the file to go forces it to be
written there.  :-)
No muss, no fuss.

If you have POV installed to your C: drive, but don't want to keep adding POV
files there, you can add another POV directory on another drive.  (I just
checked my directory of files - 67 megabytes. Yikes!)
Just create the directory on the drive, then put l3p.exe and l3pao.exe into
that directory.  Then open POV-Ray, and click on the 'Tools' menu, and select
'Edit master POVRAY.INI'.
At the bottom of that file is an entry that says 'Library_Path=something'
Just add a new entry below it somewhere that points to that new directory, like
Library_Path=G\POV\lego or whatever.  Save it, close POV, and restart the
program.  Now POV will be able to find your files.

And don't forget to make Win98 shortcut(s) to start l3pao and l3p in that
directory.  You can also add a button in LDAO if you root around in the LDAO
tools menu.  But that is another posting altogether.

-- Terry K --