 CAD / Development / 142
Re: Parts Maintenance Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 02:50:52 GMT

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:48:06 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 03:44:39 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@msn.com> wrote:

Steve Bliss writes:
- Helps people track down part number changes, especially if another
part is now using the old number.

Is this done?

It's happened on at least one occasion.  The problem is with the LDraw
library, usually--a part was released with the wrong number, and there
is a different part which actually should have that number.

A couple of occasions. Not much can be done about it.  It requires that any
person who had used that part in a model to go back and manually update it to
the correct number.

I guess I thought that once a number is used, it's used up.

AFAIK, TLG doesn't recycle numbers.

As far as the 3-digit (or less) numbers in LDraw goes, I try to follow the rule
of "once used, never used again".  And will continue with that for as long as
is possible.
I compiled a list of all the unused 3-digit numbers that are left.
Note that I consider "used" to mean:
1.  Released officially in an update.
2.  Shown on James part pages associated with a part.
    (they may have been released in an early update)

I don't consider unofficial parts that have a 3-digit number to be "used".
If those parts are officially released - but changed to a "correct" number -
the original 3-digit is returned to the pool of available numbers.
Another good reason to avoid using "unofficial" parts in models.

At present, there are approximately 625 unused 3-digit numbers left.
It sounds like a lot, but I think it is wise to conserve as much as possible.

How
does LDAO part update function deal with this?

Badly.  It can't deal with it, because it depends on the "~Moved to
XXXX" titles in the stub-files which replace the old part-file.  When a
new part moves in, there's no indication that a different part used to
live at that address.

(By the way, yet another
awesome addition to LDAO's usefulness.

Thanks.  It would be much more useful if it would recurse through a
model's sub-model files.  Near-future work-around: use an MPD-builder to
combine all the sub-files into a single MPD, then use the Mover (that
thing needs a different name) to process the MPD.

I've just been using it a bunch to fix
models I did last summer.  It's amazing how many "moved to"s there have been
since then.)

Terry and crew have been busy... :)

Yes.  Update 9906 added a lot of moved to files.

- Reduces need to overload the Author tag to give proper credit on
modifications.

Good point.  I think this is a good idea then.

Cool.  Now we just need to hear from the most important opinion-holder:
Terrell Keller.  Hey, Terry!  Can we tear you away from those throwbot
parts for a minute?  Stop dreaming, and let us know what you think.

Another thing to keep track of, eh?
If we can agree on a simple, standard format, I don't see why not.

And *I*am*not*dreaming*about*Throwbots*.
You must have me confused with Jeremy.  :-p

-- Terry K --