 CAD / Development / 10442
Re: MPD file loading search order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:28:21 GMT

Travis Cobbs wrote:

I mentioned in my other (long) post that I don't think that MPD files should be
required to have a .mpd extension.  However, I'd like to add more here in answer
to your specific question.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive that it is impossible to load an MPD
file in one pass.  The reason for this is that files defined inside the MPD are
guaranteed to come after lines in the file that reference those files.
Remember, the main model of an MPD is always the first thing in the file.  Since
it's presumably going to reference wrapped files, those wrapped files are
guaranteed to show up after the lines in the main model that reference the
wrapped files.  I don't see how this can be handled in one pass.

(Oh, and you can't be cute and load the file backwards, because there's nothing
in the MPD spec that specifies any inherent order in the contained files.  So
references can go either direction.)

Mind you, you don't have to actually read the file twice.  LDView stores the
entire contents of the file in an array of strings (each of which represents one
line in the file) on its first pass, and then parses those lines on the second
pass.  But I really don't see any way of avoiding two passes through the data.

--Travis

You can do it in one pass (if you don't count the loading of the file to
a stringlist).

Wile walking through the file you build you're objectlist with subparts.

Afterwards you go recursively through the list of subparts. This way all
mpd subparts are loaded before processing the mainpart.

But you could call the processing of the resulting subpart object list
the second pass :)

Roland